You can gather strength for the day ahead at our extensive breakfast buffet in the lounge. Breakfast is served from 06.30 to 9.30. At the weekend we offer a late-riser breakfast that guests can enjoy from 07:00 until 10:30.
The Jackson Bar is the perfect place/location to meet with friends or business partners over a cup of coffee or a glass of wine. We are also pleased / happy to serve our guests a hearty supper.
17:00 - 23:00
(in case of events variation is possible)
Why Jackson-Bar? Who was Hardy Jackson?
“The English are coming“}
The 12th October 1846 is a calm autumn day. The journey has taken the young Hardy Jackson from Manchester by rail via London to the Channel coast. From here he travels by schooner to Holland. He then continues his journey by mail coach, since there is no railway connection from Amsterdam to eastern Holland, and as yet no railway in the Rheine area. Hardy Jackson arrives in Rheine by mail coach. He is accompanied by specialists, fitters and spinners. The people of Rheine greet the newcomers from the island with the cry of “The English are coming”.
The coach pulls up directly in front of the “Schmierischer Gasthof” (now the “Haus Beckers am Markt”), and Carl Kümpers, who lives right next door, welcomes the team of experts. His task is to construct the first mechanical cotton spinning mill in Germany. This investment goes beyond all previous bounds for the development of the town of Rheine in many respects. The modern machinery requires significantly more capital than any individual businessman can provide. On 20.12.1845 therefore, the following funds are made available for a term of 20 years, by the following investors, in order to found a company: Mathias Bonse (20,000 Thaler), J. F. Timmerman and F. Tepe of Amsterdam (each 10,000 Thaler), innkeeper Franz Schmiers, C. Kümpes, Th. Sträter and Albert Sträter of Rheine, Carl and Everhard Sträter of Amsterdam (each 5,000 Thaler), Gustav Sträter of Rheine (4,000 Thaler), Dr. med. August Sträter of Aachen, Dr. med. Franz Sträter and chemist Th. Murdfield of Rheine (each 3,000 Thaler).
The project is too large for the limited land available in the previous town precincts. The new factory is therefore built on a plot of land on the eastern bank of the Ems, on the “Mühlenkamp” next to the recently completed upper canal lock. This constitutes the first step in the industrial development of the eastern bank of the Ems, which was previously devoted almost entirely to agriculture.
The industrial cotton spinning mill also outstrips the technical capabilities of the surrounding area. Not until 1842 did Great Britain lift the ban on the export of textile machinery and abolish the regulations on the migration of skilled labour. Now however, state-of-the-art machinery can be obtained from England. With the machinery come trained specialists to construct the new spinning mills and train the local labour force.
Hardy Jackson supervises the work on the factory under construction. He has to make many calculations. Transmission gears are driven by a central steam engine, which supplies power, vertically and horizontally, to all the machine locations by means of shafts and pulleys. Hardy Jackson learns to speak German, and becomes friends with the bosses of the investment company, Jan Timmerman and Carl Kümpers. The English fitters and foremen return home in the late summer of 1847. Only a few remain, including Hardy Jackson. Jackson becomes “factory inspector” of the spinning mill of 10,000 automatic spindles.
Business develops very favourably, until the outbreak of the American Civil War. Cotton exports from America are cut off almost completely, and the company makes significant losses in the years 1863 and 1864. The shareholders decide to put the company up for public sale. On 20th October 1865, Hardy Jackson is the highest bidder, and buys the company. He continues business with some of the former shareholders from 1st January 1866, trading under the name of “Baumwollspinnerei H. Jackson & Co.”. The native Englishman becomes an extremely successful businessman, and a pioneer of the German textile industry, and one of the richest men in Rheine. He spends most of his day in the spinning mill, supervising production, usually standing silently and speaking to nobody. But he sees everything and knows his people very well. Hardy Jackson speaks excellent German, although he continues to write his business records in English for many years. Contemporaries report that he spoke German very well. He holds the post of cellar master in the “Gesellschaft Verein” for many years.
Hardy Jackson dies on 24th March 1910 in his villa on the Neuenkirchener Straße. He is buried in the cemetery in the Salzbergener Straße, alongside most of the other men who with their entrepreneurial spirit founded the textile industry, and thereby the growth and affluence of Rheine from the middle of the 19th century.
On the property, where was the “Baumwollspinnerei H. Jackson & Co.”, you can now find the City Club Hotel.